Thursday, August 20, 2009

When I started writing this blog, God placed on my heart a desire to share how we are all walking a very similar path. I am not saying that we are all exactly alike but I often feel that my problems are unique and that is just not true. In addition, I find that fellow Catholics have experienced similar events. I was guided by the Holy Spirit to develop a list of seven questions and I have been sending them out all over the U.S. asking for a response. I admit it is an unusual method and probably has made some of the recipients nervous but I am happy to say that Fr. Al Baca has responded to me and his answers will be the first on this topic. Fr. Baca is Pastor of St. Cecilia's in Tustin, CA. You can learn more about him here: (http://www.stcecilia.org/about/rectory.shtml). If you would like to participate, simply respond to the following seven questions and forward your answers to fellmananthony@gmail.com. Here are the seven questions:
1. What is the biggest challenge to your faith that you have faced so far?

2. What scripture do you find yourself turning to most often?

3. How do you think God is revealing his presence to us int he world today?

4. Do you have a book that you would recommend to people trying to develop their spirituality?

5. Why do you think bad things happen to good people?

6. What have you found is the most effective way to introduce the word of God to a nonbeliever?

7. Do you have a favorite saint and if so, why?

Here are Fr. Baca's responses:
1. The biggest challenges to my faith are always personal ones. I love and am grateful for the life God has given me as a priest but I see how there are times that I fail to live up to the possibilities. I really do believe we are all called to be saints and I believe the priest should lead by example. My challenges are always centered on developing better ways of being a priest for the Lord and His people.
2. There are a few scriptures that I turn to. The first is Psalm 27:4 – “One thing I ask, only this do I seek, to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.” I would say this is my “life scripture.” The other is from the Gospel of St. Luke 1:37, “For nothing shall be impossible for God.” When I feel defeated or broken, this scripture gives me new strength and faith. The final one is from the wedding at Cana, when the Virgin says to the waiters, “Do whatever He tells you” (Jn 2:5). The best advice someone could ever give!
3. God reveals His presence in different and marvelous ways to us. He reveals Himself to us through the Word or the Bible and through the seven Sacraments. It is primarily through the Blessed Eucharist that we find God revealed most perfectly to us, in the reception of the Body and Blood and the adoration of Him. He is found in nature, in beauty, in music, in others, and especially in the body of believers, the Church. In the Church I find support, love and understanding.
4. When I recommend books I always begin with the Bible – “Ignorance of the Scripture is ignorance of Christ” (St. Jerome). I also love “The Confessions” by St. Augustine, “The Introduction to the Devout Life,” of St. Francis De Sales, “Friends of God,” by St. Josemaria Escriva, and Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings.”
5. The truth is that bad things happen to everyone. And if we are to imitate Jesus Christ as the Scripture encourages us to, then it would seem right that we should also share in His cross. The Lord always was clear with us that we would suffer and we only need to look at Mary, the Apostles and the Saints of every generation to see that this is a necessary part of our Christian identity. Suffering for us though is redemptive and as valuable as gold.
6. When ever speaking to someone who has no particular faith or a believer who is non-Catholic, I begin where they are comfortable and build from there. I always speak of Christ. I would feel odd not doing so.
7. I have many favorite saints! My top friends would be: St. Joseph, St. Dominic, St. Frances Cabrini, and Padre Pio. St. Joseph loves me and cares for me. He teaches me how to be a man. St. Dominic is the saint who inspires me most as a priest. His preaching of the Word, his miracles, his passionate love for Jesus move me. St. Frances Cabrini has been a special friend to all my family. She has worked great miracles for us and even my extended family has a great love for her. Padre Pio is just awesome! His life story is amazing. He makes me want to be a saint right now!