Thursday, August 13, 2009

The recent furor over University of Louisville basketball Coach Rick Pitino's indiscretions are troubling to me. Whatever you think of him as a coach, I think it is admirable that he has come forward and admitted his mistake and apologized. I can only imagine what his family has gone through. What I am deeply troubled by is the sub-plot surrounding the abortion. Pitino is a declared devout Catholic. As you and I both know, many people that say that have also disavowed the Church's stand on life. I pray that the money Pitino gave was not used to abort the baby. I further pray that he intended the money for health care and not an abortion. I am praying about this ugly situation. A silver lining is that it is again making us think about how our decisions can bring about unintended consequences. It brings to mind Matthew 18:21-22, Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven. We must forgive our brother Rick and leave the judgment to the Lord. Christians are called to be different in this world. That we find abortion to be murder runs against current thinking but does not make it less true. We must stand in the gap for Jesus on this issue.