Monday, August 17, 2009

If your local Catholic TV station does not carry Fr. Cedric's show Live with Passion, you need to start a email, phone or letter petition. He is truly inspired by the Holy Spirit. His message tonight was about the scripture that tells us that His eye is on the sparrow and His eye is upon us. The scripture is a reference to a verse in Matthew 10:29 that says, "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." Of course God is not disparaging birds or animals but telling us something much more important. Why do we worry so much about insignificant things like money, looks, status, and reputation? God is taking care of that for us so that we can do his work on earth. We are the Church and he expects us to spread His Good News to everyone. I was upset by my Pastor's preaching yesterday in Mass and spent the last night and all day today praying about it. He was telling us how we need to prepare ourselves to receive the Lord in the Eucharist. I agree and to me this should focus on our spiritual health. Are we trying to become like Jesus Christ every day? Is our heart contrite? Have we relieved ourselves from the agony of sin? But my Pastor went one step further and decided to talk about how we should dress in order to come to Mass. While I understand his message of modesty, I think this type of message is often used for people to leave the Church and never come back. Many people cannot afford to buy "dress" clothing and I am sure they felt the sting of his words. I cannot imagine Jesus ever saying something like this. I am sure that the people who gathered to hear Jesus preach were dressed in all types of clothes and I am confident that He did not turn them away or admonish them. "Come as you are" has always been God's message. Our souls are beautiful to Him. It is also a reminder that I must always pray for my Pastor but especially in this Year of the Priest as declared by Pope Benedict.