I am not sure why we develop bad habits but I have one that is interfering with my life. I constantly put myself down. The Devil doesn't even have to work on me. I do his job for him (as C.S. Lewis would say). Fr. Jonathan Morris, in his book The Promise, offers the following as a potential solution and I am trying it now. He suggests that you try to remember the event that created this attitude in yourself. What was the one thing that started you down this road? He suggests that we remember not to institutionalize it in our minds but to reevaluate it as an adult and probably see how insignificant or inaccurate it was in the first place. Why have we let this event come to define who we are now? Perhaps we can then realize the blessings that God has bestowed on us. I am also trying another activity. Each time I begin to wrestle in my mind about my self worth, I am going to stop and think of a blessing God has provided. I am going to then thank him for that blessing. It is the whole "garbage in, garbage out" concept in reverse. I am going to chase the garbage out with goodness from God. I have a big opportunity this coming Monday. I prayed for God to open a door and he has. Now I need to walk through it and continue my journey. I ask for prayers from you. Give me words to speak Lord.
Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...
Comments
Post a Comment