Friday, August 28, 2009

A friend at work lost his father and I went to the funeral with two colleagues. On the drive over, one of them mentioned that we would probably arrive around the time they were planning to say the rosary. This appeared to be a problem for both of them although they both admitted that they were Catholic. It made me think that something hurtful must have happened to them or, worse yet; they had come to replace God with the material world. I think it is probably the latter for at least one of them, as the accumulation of things is very high on her list. It made me turn to Matthew 19:23 where Jesus said to his disciples, “Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.” The disciples were alarmed and asked if anyone could be saved. Jesus answered, “For men it is impossible, but all things are possible for God.” I know some very wealthy people who have use their riches for good in the world. I am also aware of many that have not. I also know that I will revisit this conversation with both of my friends and reintroduce their Church to them. When we think about the larger problems of the world like war and poverty, we can see that abundant resources very frequently cause the fall of humans. Why are we drawn to things that are so short-lived instead of the eternal things? Reading about war in the Original Testament, I am amazed at how different the more modern day wars have become. They are invariably about money and power rather than right and wrong. I am not a pacifist but do pray for peace every day. I admire people who can bring calm while responding to the needs of the poor and needy. I think Mother Teresa was a terrific example of what I am talking about. She certainly kept her eye on the ultimate prize of eternal life with her Father in heaven rather than amassing tremendous earthly treasure. The eye of the needle is narrow indeed but nothing is impossible for God. The path is clear then. Work on your relationship with God and everything else will take care of itself.