Skip to main content
Yesterday, I received one of the nicest compliments from my friend. She said that I had a positive attitude and never seemed to get down. Of course, the reality is I do have moments of great despair but I try to reserve those for the times when I am talking with God our Father. I was happy to hear that because over the years, I have consciously focused on improving my outlook. Most of it has been accomplished by letting go and letting God which we all know is very difficult for us to do. Add to that my propensity to try to control things. Anyway, it made me think about my friend and why I often feel like she is not happy or satisfied. I know some things about her but what I discovered in this analysis is that I do not know if she has a personal relationship with Christ and that will become the task at hand on the to do list. I must find a way to introduce the grace and salvation of Jesus to her. Last night, I watched the President's State of the Union address. What struck me is the ongoing theme of how the government is going to "help" us out. We can go to college for free. We can have health care. We can get a student loan and then not have to pay it back. It bothered me that the current President is deemphasizing personal responsibility. But it is not surprising. His political ideology  is built on the tenants that the government will solve all of our problems. It goes back to a blog I wrote a while back that talked about the change in society that led a lot of us to depend on someone other than God to help us. I tried to find the phrase God helps those who help themselves in the Bible but it is not there. I am not saying it is not a good thought. I think we should try to help ourselves after careful and thoughtful consultation with God. But this idea that the government or any entity other than God can solve all of our problems is just wrong. I know that 2 Corinthians 5:10 says, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive recompense, according to what he did in the body, whether good or evil." Matthew 5:19 tells us, "Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Both of these passages stress the personal responsibility we must exhibit. God is calling us to respond to the needs of others and ourselves but He is doing even more. He is giving us the tools, guidance and love to accomplish these things. What kind of world would we have if we all began to live our lives in this way?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Hospitality: The Legacy of Saint Jeanne Jugan

Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...

The Gentle Art of Holy Surrender

In the quiet, dusty corners of our hearts, we often harbor blueprint drafts of how we think our lives should unfold. We carefully map out our timelines, hoping for a smooth path, and it is only natural to feel a bit lost or weary when a sudden storm alters our course or a door we prayed would open remains closed. Yet, our Lord does not stand at a distance during these moments of uncertainty; He is a tender Shepherd who walks beside us, gently whispering, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" ( Jeremiah 29:11). When our own plans crumble, it is not a sign that He has abandoned us, but rather an invitation to fold our hands, release our grip on the pen, and offer our own quiet fiat—letting Him guide us into green pastures we could never have found on our own. Placing our trust in His loving providence allows us to breathe deeply and find rest, even when the road ahead is shrouded in mist. E...

Masterpiece of the Creator

In the Catholic tradition, the universe is not a product of random chance, but the intentional masterpiece of an all-loving God. From the sprawling galaxies to the intricate details of the microscopic world, every created thing reflects the wisdom, beauty, and power of its Divine Architect. Genesis reveals that God spoke creation into being, looking upon the cosmos and declaring it good. As Catholics, we recognize that science and faith beautifully converge here: the laws of nature are the very blueprints of the Creator, inviting us to look at the wonders around us and praise the Artist behind the canvas. Yet, the pinnacle of God's creative act is found in humanity, where He breathed His very life into the dust of the earth. Fashioned in the divine image and likeness, both man and woman possess an inherent dignity, intellect, and capacity for love that transcends the rest of creation. We are designed not merely to exist, but to be mirrors of God's communion and grace in the ...