Thursday, January 21, 2010

I have received a number of positive comments about Fr. David's responses to the seven questions survey. I knew it would be impactful. When I first read it, I found myself drawn to his answers. Especially his response to why bad things happen to good people. I am reading the Book of Daniel at the present and that is an exercise in bad things happening to good people. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon certainly exercised his free will and imposed his decisions on everyone. But the image of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego standing among the flames of the fire set to kill them is something that I cannot shake. Azariah's prayer is astounding, profound, and emboldening. He had the audacity to believe in God. He never wavered and said that God would either save him and his colleagues or use them for another purpose. That is faith! I pray that I have the stamina and fortitude to withstand the devil and his helpers as Azariah did. I hunger for the conviction of Azariah. It was not serendipity that Fr. David's words were validated by the Book of Daniel. That is why we are called to read the Bible. It is the Word of God. It is one of the many ways He talks to us. I thank God for the examples of Azariah and Fr. David and I encourage you to reread yesterday's entry and then read the Book of Daniel. The message that God is in control and he will never let us down is crystal clear and definitely something we need to hear in the present.