Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Today I found myself focusing on wisdom from the Gospel of St. James. He tells us in 1:2-4, "My brothers, consider it a great joy when trials of many kinds come upon you, for you well know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance, and perseverance must complete its work so that you will become fully developed, complete, not deficient in any way." This passage describes my current journey. I am troubled and stressed. I am learning how to be patient and waiting on God's time. It is hard, maybe too hard. But it is causing me to work out new levels of my faith that I never knew I had. It is causing me to dip deeper and discover different ways to forge my relationship with God our Father. I am not sure that "great joy" is how I would describe my attitude but I am trying hard to get to "indifferent" joy. The saints knew how to turn a bad patch into a great occasion. Many of the stories I have read about saints have talked about how they turned a very bad situation into something that allowed God to work within them. It is a great example and I am trying to mimic that attitude. In addition, many saints offered up their pain and suffering for the benefit of others. I am also trying that. You will notice that I say trying and that is the truth. This proclamation from St. James is difficult but when you add our human tendencies and total dislike for anything that is hard or unpleasant, it is downright foreboding. The devil is of course adding digs and doubts at the worst times. The good news is, I am surrounded by the Sacred Heart of Jesus and I feel his presence in my life. I am allowing myself to be a better temple for the Holy Spirit and I know the journey will be beneficial. In the moment, it is just hard work. Then I remember what Jesus did for us. As we celebrate the fifty days of Easter and celebrate the event that forever changed the world, I am fortified by Jesus' sacrifice. I pray for perseverance for me and you.