The low feeling I had this morning was curtailed by the powerful voice of the Christian musical group Kutlass singing "That's What Faith Can Do." Just when I was about to let the devil have a sliver of hope, God sent me an angel with a clear message. Every word in that song was what I needed to hear. My God is an awesome God. He is ever present and I am so glad that I have an ongoing, growing, loving relationship with Him. Back to the message from God's angels. Kutlass sings "Anyone can feel the ache. You think it’s more than you can take but you are stronger, stronger than you know. Don’t you give up now." Okay, so maybe this speaks to everyone but that is just the point. This morning I felt alone and was thinking why is this happening to me? Kutlass continues, "I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains, hope that doesn’t ever end, even when the sky is falling." The very essence of faith is what they are talking about here. Do you really think that God can move that mountain? Do you have an everlasting hope even when there are earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and massive snow storms? Back to the music, "I’ve seen miracles just happen. Silent prayers get answered. Broken hearts become brand new. That’s what faith can do." Indeed! How often have you muttered a prayer under your breath? Did you even realize when it was answered? Did you thank God? I frequently find myself celebrating the answer and then suddenly remember where it came from. God doesn't need to be thanked or even expect it but we are called to be a grateful people. Again, it is a realization that God is active in every aspect of our lives. Kutlass sings a little later in the song, "Overcome the odds, you don't have a chance. When the world says you can’t, it’ll tell you that you can!" That is the most comforting sound we can ever hope to hear. God's voice, in whatever form, telling us that we can do it. He will be there to help us. His hand is upon us. Even when the economy has crashed, folks are losing their jobs, their retirement accounts are gone and they are about to lose their house, faith can change all of that. A miracle can happen. Are you asking for one right now? Are you giving it to God unconditionally? I struggle with this just as you do. We have to train our spiritual self to trust and have faith. Like the saints before us, we need to believe that our prayers will be answered. I am praying right now for a miracle. I hope you get yours too.
Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...
Comments
Post a Comment