A co-worker approached me to talk about a preacher she heard this weekend. The topic was grace. The kind of grace that only God can give us. She said that she knew what grace was or thought she knew but the more the preacher spoke, the less convinced she became about her current interpretation of grace. It made me think about grace and what that really means. I guess that I immediately think of a special blessing that God gives us when we accept Him into our lives. But doesn't that make it seem like pixie dust or something? I then thought about grace being all of the things that God allows us to enjoy like cherries, chocolate-covered doughnuts, beautiful music, or a wonderful movie. I decided that this was a very limited way of viewing God's grace. The more I thought and prayed, the more I realized that grace is about life itself. Living in grace is about being in a loving relationship with our Father God. Having the Holy Spirit whisper in your ear when you are confused or lonely or sad is certainly grace. Feeling the real presence of Jesus Christ when you receive Holy Communion is certainly grace. I am not suggesting that grace has to be religious in nature but I am merely giving you my thoughts on where my thought-process was moving. The freedom to make decisions is certainly God's grace. The redemptive grace offered to us through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross is another powerful form that is available to us. As always, I had to turn to the Bible to hear what God has to say about grace. I found a few interesting themes. St. Paul continuously offers grace to the people as he begins his letters to them. In Romans 1:5 we learn that God gave Jesus grace and we are saved because of it. That is very deep. Jesus, we know, was perfect in every way, yet he was a human. I always assumed that Jesus did not need grace but God gave it to him. And God gives us grace. God gives us the same gift that he gave his earthly son. That is very powerful. In 2 Timothy 1:9 we also learn that God gave us grace because he wanted to. We didn't even have to do anything for it. That set me to wondering what I did to deserve this grace. Do I thank God for my grace? Do I protect my grace by modeling Jesus Christ? Am I worthy of God's grace? The answer to the final question is yes. God created us so that we could have a deep, loving relationship with him. He is so good to us yet we very often take Him for granted. Living in God's grace is a powerful feeling. It straightens my spine and makes me walk taller, confident in the fact that I am supported in all things by God's grace.
Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...
Comments
Post a Comment