Skip to main content

Risen Reveals God's Forgiveness

Early reviews suggest a new biblical epic hitting theaters this week is picking up where "The Passion of the Christ" left off. "Risen" tells the story of Jesus' crucifixion through the eyes of Clavius, a Roman military officer who is on a mission to prove the resurrection did not happen. Actor Joseph Fiennes stars as Clavius. "A big attraction for me was the way his mind worked, but to get to his mind I found I had to take a physical route. I went to gladiator school in Rome. I stayed long enough to never want to go back," he told CBN News. "I spent the good part of a week working with a brilliant set of guys, and what I learned from a military standpoint was a way into the man was conditioned and the way that he thought," he said. 
 Clavius is an ambitious Roman soldier who first tries to keep Christ's body from being stolen after his crucifixion. He then sets out on an angry journey to find the body after it disappears from the sealed and guarded tomb. He's a bit of a detective. Director Kevin Reynolds shot the film in Spain and Malta, where Fiennes had no contact with the actor who played Christ until their first scenes together. "We had a wonderful team of actors, and they were all very present and dedicated to the narrative. Like any great narrative in any great movie, it's about relationships," Fiennes shared. "I think your average good actor gets that and knows it and preps accordingly." 
"So, the disciples as a group of actors were incredibly bonded. They were a unit and a family. And I was very much polarized and outside of that, but when I got invited into the group, it was kind of like the arc of the film was the arc of my existence with them," he continued. "I wouldn't have contact with them until we had made those scenes where we had contact. So that became quite emotional that journey," he said. "I think a big component in the movie for me and what I connect to with Clavius is the sense of the second chance, even if it is in the subconscious, which hasn't quite bubbled to the surface or he has worked out, so I love that component." That second chance is exactly why Christ suffered, died and was "Risen." "Risen" opens in theaters February 19.

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Hospitality: The Legacy of Saint Jeanne Jugan

Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...

The Gentle Art of Holy Surrender

In the quiet, dusty corners of our hearts, we often harbor blueprint drafts of how we think our lives should unfold. We carefully map out our timelines, hoping for a smooth path, and it is only natural to feel a bit lost or weary when a sudden storm alters our course or a door we prayed would open remains closed. Yet, our Lord does not stand at a distance during these moments of uncertainty; He is a tender Shepherd who walks beside us, gently whispering, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" ( Jeremiah 29:11). When our own plans crumble, it is not a sign that He has abandoned us, but rather an invitation to fold our hands, release our grip on the pen, and offer our own quiet fiat—letting Him guide us into green pastures we could never have found on our own. Placing our trust in His loving providence allows us to breathe deeply and find rest, even when the road ahead is shrouded in mist. E...

Masterpiece of the Creator

In the Catholic tradition, the universe is not a product of random chance, but the intentional masterpiece of an all-loving God. From the sprawling galaxies to the intricate details of the microscopic world, every created thing reflects the wisdom, beauty, and power of its Divine Architect. Genesis reveals that God spoke creation into being, looking upon the cosmos and declaring it good. As Catholics, we recognize that science and faith beautifully converge here: the laws of nature are the very blueprints of the Creator, inviting us to look at the wonders around us and praise the Artist behind the canvas. Yet, the pinnacle of God's creative act is found in humanity, where He breathed His very life into the dust of the earth. Fashioned in the divine image and likeness, both man and woman possess an inherent dignity, intellect, and capacity for love that transcends the rest of creation. We are designed not merely to exist, but to be mirrors of God's communion and grace in the ...