Friday, September 25, 2009

In a recent conversation, I suggested that one of the missions of local Catholic high schools is to promote vocations, specifically to religious life but overall as well. Also participating in the conversation were several nuns who quickly admitted that their numbers were dwindling and there was not a succession plan in place to provide new sisters for the school. The conversation began to evolve and we talked about the recent success of the local Diocese in recruiting men for the priesthood. During the meeting, I noticed a lack of participation by the nuns at the table. After the meeting, I approached two of them separately to find out what they were thinking about this topic. Both expressed to me that they were excited about the topic and very grateful that I had brought it up. I mentioned their lack of input and they shared with me that they did not want to anger the parents who might accuse them of self-interests. Who is going to recruit for them if not themselves? I must say that their attitude is backed by some new science that was conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) for the National Religious Vocation Conference (NRVC). The CARA report entitled "Recent Vocations to Religious Life" revealed some interesting data. Many of the younger people who had recently chosen the religious life were not supported by their families. But my idea has merit as well according to the research. Most of the respondants noted that they first became acquainted with religious life and the various orders at school but the most frequent method of invitation came from a priest. This certainly solidifies the need for priests to be involved in our local schools. The report is extensive and can be found here (CARA). I would encourage you to read and share it. Also, as this is the Year of the Priest, all of us should be focused on how we can promote the religious life as something to be valued and respected.