Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas came early for 10-year-old Tora Schneider of Waupaca. On December 14, her Christmas wish to help other children was granted. With the aid of her mother and stepfather, Tora delivered more than 50 wrapped presents to children at Love Life Ministry, located in the basement of a building adjacent to St. Joseph Church in Green Bay. In early December, when Tora wrote her letter to Santa, her request was simple: "All I want for Christmas is for at least 20 kids in need" to receive gifts. So taken aback were her mother, Lora Tankersley, and stepfather, Darick Tankersley, that they did all they could to make Tora's wish come true. "I cried," said Lora. "I was so happy. We have six kids and a foster daughter and for her to be the only one (to make the request), it made my day." It turned out to be a daunting request. It took a few tries to find a place that would accept the gifts Tora wanted to hand out. The family finally learned about Green Bay's Love Life Ministry, which collects and distributes baby items to needy mothers, and contacted Sharon Zambrowicz, one of the ministry's volunteer organizers. "I just thought it was a great idea," said Zambrowicz, a member of St. Joseph Parish. "I'm just glad we were able to accommodate her. I know the families that come here and I picked out the ones that I thought were most needy." This is what Christmas is all about. Put down the credit card today and pray for peace on earth!