The band Building 429 has an unusual name. It caused me to explore what it meant which I am sure is the point. They are named after the passage in Ephesians 4:29 which says "No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear." Edification is about spiritual growth and also refers to anything that is uplifting. Whenever I hear that word uplift, my eyes naturally turn to Heaven and I think of God. Have you noticed how prevalent foul language has become. It used to be that your television was a fairly safe sanctuary but now with the advent of "reality" shows, that has been obliterated. Sometimes I sit and count the numbers of bleeps in a five minute segment of a TV program. It is unsettling and very insulting. Why does that person think they need to use so many offensive words? Why has language become so littered with the profane? Don't even get me started on movies. I was at a theater recently and had to leave because of the level of profanity. I am not prudish but I really felt like the language was assaultive. I like a story with dialogue. I also like an action picture. Neither of those requires me to be offended five times in one sentence by the use of inappropriate language. I have also noticed that women used to be holding the line but not anymore. If you find yourself in a group with a majority of 18-30 year olds, you will likely hear lots of profanity and it is just as likely to come from the women as the men. The scripture passage from Ephesians instructs us that people will decide what kind of person we are by the way we use our words. So if you edify and build up in a positive manner, people will likely decide that you are decent and kind. They may also consider that you are a Christian or maybe religious. Some may even come to the conclusion that you are well mannered. All of these conclusions are good and things we should aspire to do. It is the little steps in improvement that bring about life-altering changes. So what comes out of your mouth? I encourage you to journal about this scripture passage. Begin to notice how you speak. Even in general situations like in the check-out line at the store or even on the phone when a telemarketer calls. Our world could use a vacation from all of the profanity. Wouldn't it be a nicer place if we spoke to edify rather than to shock?
Born during the turbulent era of the French Revolution, Saint Jeanne Jugan rose above hardship and a lack of formal schooling to become a profound vessel of Christ’s mercy. After losing her father at a young age and working through her youth as a kitchen maid and nurse, her life radically changed one freezing night when she encountered a blind, paralyzed elderly woman with nowhere to go. Jeanne carried the woman back to her own home, placed her in her own bed, and began a lifelong mission of radical hospitality. This act of profound love blossomed into the Little Sisters of the Poor , a thriving community dedicated to sheltering and honoring the destitute elderly. Despite later facing heavy trials—including being unjustly sidelined and stripped of her leadership by a controlling chaplain—Jeanne accepted her obscurity and exile with a joyful spirit, resting her complete trust in God's hidden providence until her death in 1879. In our daily lives, Saint Jeanne Jugan invites us to lo...
Comments
Post a Comment