Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Are we really thankful for what we have? I am not talking about big things but the everyday, mundane things. I was reading Proverbs 31 today and the thought came to me that I should probably be more aware of everything that God is giving me on a daily basis. Yes, I have to wash and vacuum my car but I should thank God that I have a car. I am always having to repair my house and cut my grass, but again, I should thank God that He has blessed me with these things. Proverbs 31 is focused on the advice that Lemuel's Mother gives him. The latter part of the passage focuses on the value of a worthy wife. It is really a beautiful passage as we approach the celebration of St. Valentine's Day. It basically focuses on all of the little things that we do in our daily lives. Of course, it goes deeper than that. It calls us to revel in each task and to find delight. It tells us that each and every task should be done for the glory of God. It really forces you to focus on your humanity. But take time to study the passage more carefully and it causes you to think about why you are doing all of these things. Do you do it merely out of habit? Are you focused on the ultimate prize of unending life in the company of God in Heaven? Do you approach each task with happiness and purpose? There is no way we can make each and every task of each and every day a celebration but we can begin to realize that we are allowed to do these things through the grace of God. He has called us to each and every task. He wants us to enjoy our life. There is a purpose to each task. Going forward, I am going to begin to focus on the task at hand and think about its ultimate purpose. But I want to return to the advice of Lemuel's Mother. I am also going to focus on how much my wife does for her family each and every day. I am going to focus on making her load lighter. I am going to let her know that I appreciate everything that she does for her family for she is cheerful. Indeed, she is the good wife that Lemuel would be lucky to find. And I thank God for that and all the little things.