Monday, December 14, 2009

Did you know that Pope Benedict has had the name Yahweh removed from all things Catholic? I discovered this yesterday, on the third Sunday of Advent, called Gaudete (Latin for "rejoice") Sunday. The choir was warming up and I heard the director tell everyone to change the word Yahweh to Lord in the song "I Lift Up My Soul." Of course the director merely offered that the pastor had made the change without an explanation. I went to the Catholic News Service (CNS) and discovered that this change was made last year in deference to the Jewish people. It really is an interesting story. The name of God has been declared unpronounceable in the Jewish tradition and it is related mostly to honoring God. The Jewish people used the four letters YHWH to represent God. I guess over the years that came to be pronounced as Yahweh. At the end of the day, I am fine with this change. What I found to be disturbing is the abruptness of the change. Little did I know that the instruction had come form the Vatican last year. I guess my pastor was busy with other things. I would have liked an explanation from the pulpit on this as I think it is a wonderful teaching moment. I did send my pastor an email about this, just in case you think that I am only complaining but not doing anything about it. It also allowed me to send an email to the choir about what was going on. Who knows, maybe it will prompt someone to learn more about their religion and the rich tradition that exists. I have tried to stay up to date with the Church's announcements but I guess I was busy doing other things as well. Returning back to the season of Advent, the CNS did have a terrific story about Pope Benedict's message for this Christmas. "The secret to experiencing true joy is not found in accumulating lots of things, but from feeling loved by the Lord and being generous to others," Pope Benedict XVI said. Real joy is feeling that one's personal and social life "is touched and filled by a great mystery, the mystery of God's love," he said December 13 before his midday recitation of the Angelus with pilgrims in St. Peter's Square. It is a nice reminder especially at this time of the year when billboards, TV and radio are blaring that there are only ten shopping days left before Christmas. In reality, there are only ten days left for us to plan how we will reach out to friends and family in a manner that is respectful of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I urge you to take a half hour or so to think about that. What could be more welcomed by someone who loves you than to get to spend some time with you? Spend a little less time at the mall and a little more time in fellowship with those you love. Merry Christmas.