Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can you pray for me? How often are you asked that question? I find myself being asked that so very often and not only in face to face meetings but via email and texts as well. It got me to thinking about the subject of prayer. How much is too much? I don't mean to imply that you can over-pray but I wonder if God becomes weary from our laundry lists? I know that He doesn't and if I understand anything it is that God is limitless. I also understand that it is folly and possibly dangerous to describe God in human terms but it is all we have. I think what I am beginning to understand is that the asking is not the problem. It is more about my capacity as a human to handle all of these requests. I must admit that it has gotten to the point where I cannot remember all of the things that I have been asked to pray for and so I cover it all by saying "God, you know what I am supposed to be praying for." and leave it at that. I am not proud of that fact. I should be able to be a more productive pray-er but I am not unlimited. My limitations are numerous and so I pray like a human prays and that is with limits. I really don't think God cares either. What do you think. I would love to hear you comments on this.