Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No matter what you think of Whitney Houston, you have to agree that her voice has to be a gift from God. I really felt sorry for her last night as I watched an interview she was doing. I really felt her sincerity when she talked about staying with her self-destructive and abusive husband because she took her wedding vows seriously. She shared how she was brought up in a Christian house and that she had pledged her commitment before God in church and that meant she had to endure no matter what. I can remember the time when she sang the National Anthem before the Superbowl. Is there a more beautiful or heartfelt rendition out there? The voice is so pure. What about her remake of I Will Always Love You? God certainly gave her a gift. I hope that her return to God will prove to be permanent. I have missed her voice. The reading today is from Colossians. St. Paul is confronted with new Christians who are still confused about who Jesus is and their old cultic practices. Paul asks them, "If you died with Christ to the elemental powers of the world, why do you submit to regulations as if you were still living in the world?" I will never know why God sent me to this passage but it does relate to Whitney Houston. She admitted to being seduced by the money and power that she amassed by becoming a star. She also admits how she came to realize that it all meant nothing because she lost herself in the process and she found her way back through the Bible. I think Paul is referencing the exact types of things that seduced Whitney Houston. We are frequently dazzled by the lifestyles of the rich and famous but when we are exposed to the truth about their lives, we frequently think we would be different. Why is that? I have firmly set my sights on enjoying my rewards in heaven. If that means I have to live a more aesthetic and austere life, then that is fine. God is working in me now to move to this new goal. I hope He is happy with the end result.