Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Have you ever been faced with an overwhelming feeling of doom? Have you ever felt like you were in the presence of the Devil? I had a recent conversation with a friend who said he truly felt that a certain person we both know is working for the Devil. He described this person as "evil incarnate." I asked him why and he said that God had placed this on his heart and he asked me to avoid this person at all costs. I must tell you that I was shaken as I had worked closely with this person for a while. I did notice a lack of willingness to embrace the Word of God but perhaps I was not being observant enough. It is nice to know that God sends guardian angels to warn us and I truly am thankful for this authentic friend. Today's reading is appropriately enough from Joel. The book itself is about a threatening catastrophe and the warning the people receive from the prophet to repent and turn to the Lord with fasting and weeping. The people did as they were told and the Lord answered their prayer. It is a frightening scene but the Lord proves that he is trustworthy and good. St. Peter writes about the Book of Joel in Acts 2:16-21, "No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: It will come to pass in the last days,' God says, 'that I will pour out a portion of my spirit upon all flesh. Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your young men shall see visions, your old men shall dream dreams. Indeed, upon my servants and my handmaids I will pour out a portion of my spirit in those days, and they shall prophesy. And I will work wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below: blood, fire, and a cloud of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the coming of the great and splendid day of the Lord, and it shall be that everyone shall be saved who calls on the name of the Lord." Are we ready for the day of the Lord? It will come even if we are not ready.