Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The development of our patience skills may one of the hardest things we have to do as humans. I certainly think it is becoming a lost art. A lot of it has to do with the pace of our society. We are always looking for the quickest and fastest in everything. I remember when microwave ovens first appeared and we marveled at their efficiency and quickness. Now I hear folks complain that the microwave is taking too long. Although our time is relatively short on earth it would behoove us to slow our lives down. How often do you feel like you just don't have enough time. Or worse, after someone has passed, do you regret not visiting or talking with them more often. Part of our responsibilities to others is being a good father, mother, sister, brother, friend, etc. That means forming lasting and deep relationships and that takes time. In Psalm 40:1 it says, "I waited, waited for the Lord; who bent down and heard my cry." In Hebrews 10:36 it states, "You need endurance to do the will of God and receive what he has promised." In 2 Thessalonians 3:5 it says, "May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the endurance of Christ." I could go on and on. The Bible, our instruction manual for living, is full of exhortations about the need for humans to be patient and to build up our endurance. I struggle each day to accomplish this request. The Lord know that we are human and weak and therefore, He is patient with us. I am praying that we all grow in our ability to be patient when it is warranted.