Friday, September 4, 2009

I have to admit that the start of college football season has me distracted. I do enjoy watching and supporting my favorite teams. I was very appalled at the incident at the Oregon/Boise State game last night. Oregon player LeGarrette Blount punched Byron Haute in the face after the game was over. To make matters worse, Mr. Blount also attempted to attack a fan. He was constrained by Oregon and Boise State security personnel and led to the locker room. To his credit, Mr. Blount did apologize but the question remains, why did it happen in the first place? It also goes to the bigger question of what college athletics has evolved into at this point. Why is there so much anger and animosity for a game that champions sportsmanship. In fact, that is one of the main traits that experts claim is aided when students participate in organized sports, along with leadership and time management. I am personally praying for Mr. Blount and I urge you to do so as well. This event could very negatively impact his future. I hope that someone at the Oregon Catholic Student Center reaches out to Mr. Blount. By the way, I was reading the Aggie Catholic blog this morning and found out that the tabernacle was stolen from the Blessed Sacrament Chapel at the St. Francis Newman Center at Ball State University some time last night or this morning. This is greatly disturbing. Why would anyone think this is a good idea? Hopefully it will be found or returned intact.