Friday, February 5, 2010

The sacrament of reconciliation has been on my mind lately. I was recently with a group of believers who were discussing the many reasons we find not to make a confession. The conversation finally wound around to the idea of sin itself. We all know what sin is but I heard a new description that is clear and concise and really struck a chord in my heart. Sin is the act that cuts the cord between me and God. Thus reconciliation is the act that repairs the cord. While we are talking with God about our sins, He is lovingly repairing the cord and reconnecting us to His loving embrace. It is our lifeline. I am sure you are like me and want that cord to remain connected to God. We know He forgives us as Psalm 32 says, "then I acknowledged my sin, did not conceal my guilt. I said I shall confess my offense to the Lord and You for Your part, took away my guilt, forgave my sin." We also know that God came for us sinners, not just for the virtuous as it says in Psalm 51. So what is it that is keeping us from making a reconciliation? For me, it is pride. That need to save face at all costs. I am worried about what my pastor will think of me. As St. Ignatius said, power, possession, and pride are at the heart of sin. I have found that it is a freeing experience to say my sins out loud and have the priest absolve me. More importantly to me, I am amazed that my priest usually has a "that's it" look on his face. He recently told me that the folks who come to reconciliation usually say many of the same things and that the sins are pretty mundane. He figures that is because the folks that come to reconciliation are really trying hard and it is the folks that don't go that are holding the really "big zingers." I don't know about you but that simple bit of humor brought me comfort and made me relax, which is probably why he said it. I also want to address the thought held by many that their sin is not "hurting" anyone else. You have heard folks say it as well, I am sure. "Well, what I am doing is only hurting me. What do you care?" But the reality is the sin is not only hurting them. It generally does impact other people. Besides, the fact that you are sinning is hurting me as well because I care about you. That has become my pat answer. As Christians, we are called to community and that fellowship requires us to care about others. When I see folks that I care about sinning, it does affect me and I am hurt. I am also worried about their salvation and hope they are concerned with mine. So I encourage you to share the concept that sin cuts the cord between you and God and that reconciliation repairs it. The act of making a confession helps us to focus on the why of what we did and allows us to resist the temptation the next time the opportunity arises. Finally, I have to wish the New Orleans Saints good luck this Sunday. If nothing else, the publicity they have received has certainly put the idea of saints in everyone's mind. Maybe they will be compelled to take a look at who the saints really are and be inspired by their life stories as well. And don't forget to watch Faith Bowl III. I know that it will be shown on EWTN before and after the Super Bowl.