Wednesday, February 17, 2010

As the Lenten season begins for 2010, I am concentrating on being a good Christian. I have decided to focus on morning and evening prayers and reading the Bible more for Lent. In this way, I think that I will be better prepared for Holy Week. It is requiring me to wake up earlier and I am not a morning person but there is something extraordinary about the lack of noise before my house arises. I have been distracted the last two days. A good friend died on Monday. He had a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer which he won. Then the cancer returned and attached to his liver. He simply did not have the strength to fight this time. He was a brave soul and I know he is working for us in Heaven. I will miss him because he had such a profound effect on me. He taught me how to be a good Christian man. He was a terrific mentor and a father-figure in my life. I truly loved him even though we only became friends less than a decade ago. RIP. I want to urge you to spend some time each day during Lent thinking about Jesus' journey to the cross. He knew what was coming and accepted it for our salvation. What do you think Jesus was wondering about today as he prepared for his death? His fully human thoughts had to be dismayed yet his fully God self understood fully the purpose of his mission. Let's take this walk with Jesus Christ our Savior during the next 40 days.