Monday, January 31, 2011

Soul of Christ, sanctify me. Body of Christ, save me. Blood of Christ, inebriate me. Water from the side of Christ, wash me. Many of you will remember that this is the opening lines from the prayer by St. Ignatius of Loyola called Soul of Christ. It is a very intimate prayer that indicates a close, loving relationship with Jesus Christ. So how did Ignatius move from his life of materialism and debauchery to a life dedicated so fully to God? His life before his conversion could best be described as lukewarm or perhaps even cold towards his spiritual development. St. Ignatius even had a police record for some of his antics. But by reading about the lives of the saints and the Bible itself, Ignatius became one of the Lord's most fervent supporters. As an American Catholic, I know how hard it is to adhere to the life that Christ requires. We are so ingrained with thoughts of becoming rich and famous. Television makes "stars" out of folks who have no discernible talent other than they will allow the cameras to roll in their "homes." while they "live." Can you even keep track of the award shows Hollywood now has? How many times are they going to pat themselves on the back for memorizing lines and looking pretty? Not judging, just observing. Revelation 3:16 says, "So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." What a sobering thought. That by being bland and boring when it comes to our relationship with the Lord, we will be spit out of His mouth. It is not a pretty image. But He does offer a solution in Revelation 3:18-19, "I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich, and white garments to put on so that your shameful nakedness may not be exposed, and buy ointment to smear on your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent." This gold is not the kind you put on your finger or wear around your neck. This is the gold of Heaven that will last forever. It is purchased by falling in love with God. It is kept by making God the number one relationship in your life. You can have these riches from God by being in relationship with Him. I don't know about you but I do not want God to spit me out. I want the white garment of salvation. I am praying that we each develop a deeper, constant love affair with our God.