Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Can you believe that it has been an entire year since the earthquake hit Haiti? I know that many of us have forgotten about this tragedy, but we have talked about it on this blog a number of times during the past year. I have also heard several stories recently from folks who have made a trip to Haiti to offer assistance. Most of them have noted how the experience has altered their life forever. They truly feel like they can never go back to the life they were living after seeing the amazing things that God is doing in this tiny country. They often talk of the hope in Christ that the Haitians are exhibiting even in light of continuing hardships. We must continue to be the hands and feet of the Lord in places like Haiti. Chris Tomlin has a beautiful song called I Will Follow You that talks about this very thing. He sings, "Where you go, I'll go. Where you stay, I'll stay. When you move, I'll move. I will follow you. Who you love, I'll love. How you serve I'll serve." Following God is never a bad thing and we are called to places like Haiti to make sure that people do not lose hope. One of the news reports I saw had an incredible quote from one of the survivors who said, "This is a day for us to remember the people we lost, but also it's a day to be thankful that we made it through this year," said Pierre Jean as she sat on a blanket in front of a UNICEF tent. She paused a moment, holding back tears. "It was a horrible year." Jean's brother and mother died when their home collapsed in the magnitude 7 quake that killed at least 230,000 and left more than 1 million homeless when it struck. Hearing something like this, can we return to the life we are living? Can we continue to complain about insignificant things? Can we continue to allow idol worship of things to cloud our spiritual life? I am praying that you have a Haiti moment and that it clarifies your spiritual path.