Tuesday, December 21, 2010

St James tell us, "Do you not know that to be a lover of the world means enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wants to be a lover of the world makes himself an enemy of God" (4:4). As I listen to the endless stream of mindless blather on television, I am reminded of this powerful verse. People talk about Christmas in earthly terms. They mention Santa Claus, gifts, and trees. They want a new IPad, car, or jewelry. Their passions lie with the world. The celebration of the birth of the greatest man who ever lived does not even register with many of them. It is numbing and I am saddened. Being a lover of the world means that you want to stay in this world. You are worried about leaving the things in this world behind. I am not suggesting that we should not enjoy our time on earth. In fact, we should spend it with a higher purpose. But remember that it is temporary and the greater prize is to come in the next life. The anticipation of spending eternal life with our Lord is so exciting. It is this feeling that builds excitement in me during the time of Advent. We have been patient. We have prepared ourselves the last four weeks specifically. We are ready to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We walk the journey with Joseph and Mary. We feel their joy when Jesus arrives. We join the other visitors to the manger to worship the King of Kings. I want to close this post with a thank you to all that come to this site. I hope that I have remained true to God's purpose. I ask that you continue to pray for me and this ministry. I want to bring people closer to our God. I want people to develop a deeper relationship with God. Merry Christmas to you and yours.