Tuesday, December 15, 2009

There is controversy today about a poster that is being used to promote the upcoming U.S. Census. You can view it here but it essentially depicts the Holy Family making their way back to Bethlehem for the census. As we all know, when they arrived there was no room at the inn so they were allowed to stay in the barn and Jesus was born there. Some folks are saying that the poster is sacrilegious. I do not think it is and in fact, brings focus to Jesus just when many folks lose sight of what Christmas is all about. Maybe my logic is simplistic but I think that it depicts the truth about the birth of Jesus. It also sends the message that we should try to be more like Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The art work is not derogatory, as is often the case, and in fact is similar to what you would find on a Christmas card. I was alerted to the controversy by an article in a national newspaper. The comments on the poster are mainly about the census itself. It seems that people are very concerned that the U.S. Government will now know where they live. I am not going to try to figure that out. I also wanted to mention that I received a few comments on the Yahweh post. The conversation centered on the fear that a return to the past, i.e. Latin Rites, etc., will be detrimental to the Church. Many fear that our young people will not respond to this tradition. I agree that the current form of Mass is much more beneficial to me as a Christian. I am much more engaged and truly feel connected to the Lord throughout the worship and praise. It is my hope that people will become more actively involved in their salvation and spiritual journey. That requires each of us to live in the moment. When we are praying, we should be only focused on that. It is important to reserve part of our day for conversation with the Lord. Finding the time and place for solitude is equably important and very often the most difficult task we face. Take another look at the poster of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I am sure that Mary and Joseph spent much of that trip in conversation with God. Maybe we all need a Bethlehem journey moment in this time of frenetic rushing.