Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The scripture that emerged today for me is from the epistle of St. Jude 1:16, "These people are complainers, disgruntled ones who live by their desires; their mouths utter bombast as they fawn over people to gain advantage." I have fallen prey to this many times in the past but have been working to expunge this desire from my heart. I was never one to chase after people for autographs. It never made sense to me and I have urged my children as well as students I have taught in religious education to avoid this urge as well. We are all children of God on the same journey. Why does our society choose to place some above others and generally because they are attractive (actors) or good at running, catching and throwing (athletes)? It is absurd and a cancer that continues to plague us as a people. I especially enjoyed the part in the scripture that describes the mouths uttering bombast. That of course reminded me of my favorite parts of the Epistle of St. James that urge us to control our tongue. All of this "rock star" adulation makes me miss Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul II and Bishop Stanley Joseph Ott more every day. I have been praying about President Obama being award the Nobel Peace Prize. What I have come to understand is that it is unfortunate but a reality in a world that has its priorities confused. How can someone even be considered a peacemaker if they are an abortionist? Many would say he does not perform abortions but I disagree. He is the conduit for abortions being performed not only in the U.S. but around the world. He provided the authorization for funding for abortions. He supports abortions. He does not understand that abortion is murder. As the Bible says In Matthew 5:21-28, "Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." The parallel must be true for other forms of sin. In this instance, it is abortion which is murder and disobeys the fifth commandment.