Friday, July 16, 2010

A friend of mine recently took a trip to Israel. He mentioned that one of the most toughing moments of his trip was his visit to the Western Wall. I should mention that he is Jewish and so this visit had added significance. One of the more interesting comments he made was the diversity of people he saw at the Wailing Wall, as many people have labeled it. It is a very important Jewish religious site located in the Old City of Jerusalem. A lot of the wall was constructed in 19BC with the remaining parts being added in the 7th century and is said to be what was left of Solomon's original Temple after its destruction. It gained the additional title of wailing because Jews would frequently come to the wall and lament the destruction of the Temple. The reason people pray at the wall is because it is believed to be the closest point to the Holy of Holies, the holiest room of the old Temple. My friend's comments left me with thoughts about the significance of this type of gathering space in the U.S. Having sacred places that draw people of different faiths would seem to be a beneficial thing in this country. It really emphasizes the things we agree about rather than highlighting our differences. It is the ultimate ecumenical instrument. I then wondered how one would go about proposing this type of gathering spot and was soon overwhelmed with all of the legal implications it would create. And that is just sad. I told my fiend that if he planned to return to Israel, I wanted him to carry a prayer for me and insert it into the Wall's crevices. My prayer is that there be more places like the Wall that will bring people together for the purpose of worshipping God.