Thursday, March 18, 2010

James Arrington publishes a wonderful Catholic blog called Lead, Kindly Light! He was kind enough to respond to the Seven Question Survey and I am posting his answers today. If you would like to share your thoughts, feel free to send me an email at fellmananthony@gmail.com. Pope Benedict has called all Catholics to use technology to evangelize. Please join me in bringing people to the Church so that they can develop a fuller, deeper relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

 1. What is the biggest challenge to your faith that you have faced so far?

Sadly, in this modern world and the culture we live in, I find my faith challenged daily. But I have to say the greatest single challenge is my own sinfulness. We have to daily pick up our cross and follow Jesus, and some days I find that very hard to do. I am getting a little better one day at a time, but I always have to do battle with my own flesh.

2. What scripture do you find yourself turning to most often?

There are so many that I love that it is very hard to choose one ! But over my desk I have a quote from Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." It reminds me that God has a destiny for me, no matter how tough the road may seem sometimes -- and the destiny is all about His love for me and His desire to be in relationship with me.

3. How do you think God is revealing his presence to us in the world today?

God reveals Himself in innumerable ways, but for me He reveals Himself most powerfully in the Church and her sacraments. Regular confession and daily Mass are the two best ways for me to keep my connection to God honest and real.

4. Do you have a book that you would recommend to people trying to develop their spirituality?

Again, many possibilities ! One little book on prayer that I've found helpful is Peter Kreeft's
Prayer for Beginners. For a good understanding of the faith, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a must for anyone who hasn't read it yet. Actually, anything by either of these authors is excellent.

5. Why do you think bad things happen to good people?

If we could answer that question with complete certainty, we could convert half the agnostics in the world. That really is THE question, isn't it ? All I can say is, if we are in a right relationship to God, we have nothing to ultimately fear. There is nothing that can truly harm us in the end. But pain is an important part of growth, because we never learn anything of value without it. I believe that sometimes God allows us to suffer through bad things to get our attention and call us back to Himself, or teach us something we cannot learn otherwise. Sometimes our pain is just a result of the cause-and-effect Universe we live in. And sometimes we have no answer at all except "Thy will be done."

6. What have you found is the most effective way to introduce the word of God to a nonbeliever?

I think this is a tricky business. The most important thing we can do is to model the life and heart of Jesus in our own lives to the best of our ability; to do right and not apologize for speaking the truth, while not beating people over the head. And we have to be educated about the faith and stand ready to give a reason for our hope.

7. Do you have a favorite saint and if so, why?
I have many saints on whose constant intercession I rely for help. My confirmation saint is Maximilian Kolbe, and I chose him because I felt even then the call to priesthood and saw him as such an exemplar of the selfless priestly life. St. Maximilian Kolbe, pray for us !